for Middleton House Bed and Breakfast, Shepton Mallet
This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Located on a slight incline within a ten minute walk to Shepton Mallet Town Centre, we provide most comfortable accommodation for both holiday and business guests.
We are conveniently situated for the Royal Bath and West Showground and provide an excellent base for attractions in the area.
We offer five en-suite first floor guest rooms; two doubles, one single and two family / twin rooms, all with countryside views.
The main rooms downstairs, the guest lounge and dining room, are easily accessible from the hall, and the guest rooms upstairs are easily accessible off one corridor.
If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 01749 343720 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
An access statement in greater detail, which includes pictures, height of beds, width of access gaps into rooms and en-suites, and height of furniture in the en-suites, are available on request and can also be obtained in a larger print version.
We look forward to welcoming you
- Middleton House in Compton Road is located off the A371.
- For full details and maps of how to reach us, please see the ‘How to find us’ section of our website. Our postcode is BA4 5QT
- Streets in the area are paved.
- The nearest railway station, Castle Cary, is approximately 8 miles away. Local taxis are available.
- The nearest bus stops are approximately a 6 minute walk away at Shepton Mallet Cenotaph Tesco. Buses go to Wells, Glastonbury, Bath and Bristol. Other connecting buses to places such as Weston-Super-Mare, can be alighted at Wells.
- Bristol Airport is approximately 21.4 miles away by car from us.
- We regret that we are unable to accommodate guests’ pets, but assistance dogs could be catered for.
Car Parking and Arrival
- Parking is available on site in front of our double garage, (3-4 spaces) and free on street parking is available all year round.
- The distance from the furthest car space to the front door is approx. 13 metres, (42ft) and the surface from the car parking area to the front door is tarmac. There are no steps. At night our door entrance is lit, and a street light shines directly onto the parking area.
- The front door is 690mm, (27ins) wide. This gives access to the hallway 940mm, (37ins) wide, from which the guest lounge and dining room can be accessed.
- Access for walkers and cyclists is possible from our driveway through a garden gate to the right of the main entrance. Boot washing facilities / lock up for bikes is available.
- Assistance is always offered with luggage on arrival and departure.
- Guests are welcomed into the wooden floored hallway, which is well lit and level throughout.
- Guests are shown the locality of the Guest Lounge and Dining Room.
- The Guest Lounge is situated off the hallway on the ground floor, first room on the left. The entrance is 700mm (27.5ins) wide step free.
- The furniture is situated against the walls of the room, no large spaces between. It consists of a two seater settee, two armchairs, a bureau, a square table, a low table and a nest of tables
- There is a ceiling light, a soft glow table lamp and a standard lamp.
- The floor has a short pile carpet.
- A magnifying glass, pens and paper are on offer if needed.
- The dining room is situated off the hallway on the ground floor, second room on the left. The entrance is 700mm (27.5ins) wide, step free / level entry with a short pile carpet.
- There are generally three solid wooden tables in the room, one with breakfast items on, and two for the guests, which can each seat up to four people. The chairs are solid without arms and have padded seats.
- The dining room has large windows allowing plenty of natural light supplemented by a centre ceiling light.
- For breakfast we use locally sourced ingredients where possible. We cater for vegetarians and try to cater for any other dietary requirements, likes / dislikes. Please advise us before your arrival.
- The choice of juices, cereals, Middleton muesli mix, grapefruit, yogurt, fresh and dried fruit, are all self service.
- The cooked part of the breakfast, choice of beverage and toast, are all table service.
- We use square, white plates, placed on contrasting table cloths.
- Assistance can be provided on request.
Public Areas – Halls, Stairs, Landings, Corridors
- All public areas, hall, stairs and landings are well lit with ceiling lamps.
- There are no steps to the guest lounge or to the breakfast room which lead off from the wooden hallway.
- There are 14 short pile carpeted stairs, with a handrail on the left side, leading to the short pile carpeted landing from which there is access to the guest rooms.
- The house is fully centrally heated throughout and temperatures can be adjusted in each room to suit individual requirements.
- Rooms are accessed by stairs with fourteen, 200mm, (8ins) steps. There is a hand rail on one side.
- Beds are normally made up with duvets, but sheets and blankets can be provided if preferred. Our standard pillows are non-allergenic, fibre filled, but feather pillows are available on request.
- There are ceiling lights, bedside tables, bedside lamps, a wardrobe, a chest of drawers / dressing table, bed/ beds and seating provided in each room. Blackout curtains cover windows.
- There is a ceiling light in the middle of the Green, Yellow and Blue rooms and downlights in the Cream and Honeysuckle rooms. This lighting, and bedside lighting ensure light levels are very good.
- Flat screen, freeview digital televisions with remote control, subtitles available, are in all rooms. Two televisions have built in DVD players.
- Furniture can be moved around or removed on request and different bed combinations are possible.
- There is good colour contrast between the walls, doors and short pile carpet.
- All rooms have Wireless Interlink Smoke Alarms.
Shower-rooms & Toilets (En-suite)
- All rooms are en-suite with level access from every bedroom to each en-suite shower
- There is a ceiling light in the middle of each en-suite and strip lights, with shaver sockets, over the washbasins. Non slip flooring throughout.
- All en-suite shower rooms have non slip flooring throughout.
- Guests can gain access to the garden via a small wooden gate situated between the front entrance and the garage. There are very slight inclines through the gate as there are no steps. A tarmac path edges the lawn on which there is a round picnic bench available.
- Guests may use this area for smoking as it is not permitted in the property. An ash tray can be provided on request
- I have BSL Level 1 which will hopefully be of use if we have deaf visitors.
- There are ‘In case of fire’ instructions posted on the walls by the main light switch in every guest room. This is also provided in the information folder in each room and can be available in large print if requested. All fire exits are clearly marked.
- There is a safety light located outside guest rooms, which comes into operation if power fails. This is also a removable emergency torch.
- The information folder also gives information on NHS facilities, local restaurants / pubs, travel, theatre and local golf facilities. There are a selection of menus from local restaurants for guests’ perusal.
- We have storage / drying facilities for cyclists, walkers and golfers.
- Free Wi-fi, high speed Internet facilities.
- We can refrigerate prescription medication, but there is also a fridge available for guest use on the first floor landing.
- Low energy lighting is generally used throughout the house.
- Middleton House has a non smoking policy within the house.
- Mobile phone reception is very good.
- We have water bowls for assistance dogs.
- Unfortunately we do not take credit or debit cards but cheque, cash or BACS payments are accepted.
- All guests are give a mobile telephone number which they can use to contact us in case of emergency.
68, Compton Road,
Somerset BA4 5QT
|Grid Reference:||ST 61717 42621 ( x361717 y142621)
Latitude 51.181532 Longitude -2.5490803